[SunHELP] usb on an Ultra 1 with Solaris

Greg gonufer at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 11:23:25 CST 2002

On 01/25/02 03:11 AM, Paul Mitcheson wrote:

> I am interested in connecting USB devices to an Ultra 10.
>
> I know Solaris 8 now supports USB as the new blade machines have USB support.
>  Has anyone had any experience of putting a usb pci card into a U10?

Pretty much any OHCI USB host adapter should work, the UHCI class of USB
host adapters will _not_ work.  You won't be able to use it for the console
input device as your OpenBoot doesn't support USB but you will be able to
use it for other supported USB devices (Zip drives, certain cameras,
whatever else is on the list nowadays).

> Do you think if I put in a usb card with the same chip set as is used on the
> blade 100 (I don't know what that is) it will work?

Yes.

You'll be happier with one of the more recent Solaris 8 Update releases
(eg, Solaris 8 10/01) than with plain Solaris 8, USB support has been
improved since the first Sun Blade releases.

An interesting web page:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/?wb_lp=jaen-ATL&wb_proto=4.0&wb_co=excitejapan&wb_rc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eexcite%2Eco%2Ejp%2Fworld%2Furl%2Fbody&wb_tc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eexcite%2Eco%2Ejp%2Fworld%2Furl%2Fbody&wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsolaris%2Esunfish%2Esuginami%2Etokyo%2Ejp%2Ftips%2FUltra10%2Fusb%2Findex%2Ehtml

-greg