[SunHELP] usb on an Ultra 1 with Solaris

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Fri Jan 25 11:19:34 CST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Paul Mitcheson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in connecting USB devices to an Ultra 10.
>
> I know Solaris 8 now supports USB as the new blade machines have USB support.
>  Has anyone had any experience of putting a usb pci card into a U10?

I've put one in a U60.  Note that you need a recent version/update of Sol8
to support it, I believe it is 07/01 or later.

> Do you think if I put in a usb card with the same chip set as is used on the
> blade 100 (I don't know what that is) it will work?

If you look on the Sun site, they have a list of a couple of approved
manufacturers.  One of them was about the cheapest USB card I could find
at Fry's.  Worked great (sorry, don't remember the name, possibly
Beltron).  Plugged in, boot -r, there it is.

Now, getting anything to WORK with it was another issue, due to the lack
of drivers.  I was interested in using a USB keyboard with the U60, and
never got that working properly before I moved on to another system.  I
posted requests for help on usenet and got my ass flamed and handed to me
for thinking it was possible without OpenBoot support; I *know* I saw a
report from the Sun test lab describing their test of the card and
alluding to using a keyboard, but I can't find it.

Hope this helps.

KeS