[SunHELP] usb on an Ultra 1 with Solaris

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 25 05:34:37 CST 2002

I suspect that simply adding a PCI card with the right chipset would be
insufficient to guarantee a workable solution. The bios on the card would be
important too, not just the chip set.

I have an Ultra 60, and have a SunPCi card that has an AMD CPU on it. The
card is basically a PC that runs in a Sun. The card has USB ports, so is a
way for someone with a PCI based Ultra to get USB, if you don't mind using
it under Windoze. Someone was wishing to sell such a card on sunhelp this
morning, but if not there are several on www.ebay.com

Your subject mentions an Ultra 1, yet the body of your message mentions an
Ultra 10. If the machine is a PCI based Ultra 10 and not an sbus based Ultra
1, then adding a SunPCI card might be a simple solution. It will give you a
working PC, as well as the USB ports you want.