[SunHELP] LDAP

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Jan 24 20:07:14 CST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Alan Rubin wrote:

| is LDAP the natural successor to NIS/NIS+?

Yes

| we are running NIS+ at our site and have become aware that support from
| Sun is waning.  is LDAP included with the Sol 8 or 9 distributions or is
| it an additional product at an additional price?  i haven't a clue about
| LDAP.

"Full" LDAP support is in 8 and 9. There are LDAP PAM modules, LDAP name
service hooks for /etc/nsswitch.conf, and beginning with 9, iPlanet LDAP
server will ship with the OS (of course, you can use any LDAPv2-capable
server, such as OpenLDAP.)

The best things about LDAP is that it has a far better replication
mechanism than NIS, and supports SSL encryption between clients and
servers.

/dale