[SunHELP] Help Needed with Mutiple Network interfaces

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sun Jan 20 00:19:19 CST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Rajesh Vadde wrote:

| 1) When ever I ping the g1 and g3 interfaces from another system, I am
| able to ping. But I found packets are going only on g0 and g2
| interfaces. What I observed in netstat -i is output packets on g1 and g3
| interfaces are very less. Even if I snoop on g1 and g3 interfaces, I do
| not see any traffice on them.
|
| Please help me in this. We want to use both the interfaces to support
| our network traffic, to spread the clients all 4 interfaces.

This is easy. Why you see replys from ge0 and ge2 is because the routes to
the networks for those respective interfaces are listed first in the
routing table.

Your server is getting a ping in on ge1, and then wants to reply. It then
looks in the routing table to find the appropriate interface to send the
reply from, and since the ge0 interface comes up first, it is chosen by
the kernel and the packet is sent from that interface.

A way to get around this is to set up IP Multipathing, a new feature in
Solaris 8. 'man ifconfig' and search on http://docs.sun.com/ to find out
more on how to enable and configure IP Multipathing on your system.

/dale