[SunHELP] abort - core dumped

Paul Mitcheson pmitcheson at iee.org
Tue Jan 15 15:19:21 CST 2002

Dear All,

I have had problems installing Solaris 8 on an SS4 with 96MB RAM, a 4gig
hard disk (scsi id 4) which is the boot disk and a 17gig hard disk (scsi
id 3).

During the install, the machine hung, with the message "Abort - core
dumped"

This mesage was printed to the screen just before openwin was started,
and just after.

The core file points to sysidnet as being the problem.

So, I brought up a console during the install and killed sysidnet, and
the install continued properly.

However, the install will not boot properly because it core dumps on
boot, same error.

I did a boot -s and installed the sol 8 recommended patches.

It didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
      .---.
     /     \
     \. at -@./     Paul Mitcheson
     /`\_/`\     Control and Power Research Group
    //  _  \\    Imperial College London
   | \     )|_   mailto:pmitcheson at iee.org
  /`\_`>  <_/ \  http://www.mitcheson.demon.co.uk/paul