[SunHELP] Re: Ultra 10 + Linksys + Netscape slowness...

Ayush Zutshi azutshi at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jan 13 20:42:42 CST 2002

John,

I had this same problem with Netscape on Solaris.  As certain web pages
loaded into Netscape I would keep getting these "stalled" messages and the
page would never end up loading.  From Netscape on Solaris I could not even
get to http://docs.sun.com and had to use a Windows machine to do it!

The trick is to have the MTU of the Network Interface Card in your Sun match
the MTU of your Linksys router.

1) Look up the MTU of your U10 by typing "ifconfig hme0".  You should get
something like this:
   hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1472 index 2
         inet XXX.XXX.X.X netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
         ether X:X:XX:XX:XX:XX

2) Look up the MTU of your Linky.  Look under "Advanced --> Filters" in the
admin web page.  At the bottom of the screen you should see "MTU"
Enable/Disable Radio Buttons and an Edit box in which to enter an MTU value.

3) Click the "Enable" Radio button and enter MTU=1472 in the Linksys router
and save the setting.  (1472 is a decent value.  Feel free to look up IP
Fragmentation and Maximum Transmission Unit on the web for a more detailed
explanation.  That's what I did.)

4) In order to set the MTU for your NIC is Solaris type: "/usr/sbin/ifconfig
hme0 mtu 1472"
This value will have to be set every time the machine boots so you could
create a little startup script that does this for you.

Hope this helps.  After I did this, Netscape SCREAMED on Sun!

Ayush Zutshi
Iambic Parameter LLC

-------------
Greetings....

I have DirecttvDSL + Linksys + Ultra 10 running Solaris 8 (patched).

If I do a download of a large file, downloads are really fast
(60-80K/sec).  Many websites are fine.... however if I go to more graphic
(more multigraphic) pages like www.nytimes.com, I can wait an hour for the
page to come up, if at all...

I can download everything and get all websites on my Windows 2000 machine
attached to the same linksys.

Any assistance/recommendations you can make are greatly appreciated.

John
john at closertofine.com