[SunHELP] Naming Services...which to use???

Robert Banniza RPBanniz at ascensionhealth.org
Fri Jan 11 10:22:44 CST 2002

Ok guys,
Here's a loaded question. I'm working in a shop with several flavors of
UNIX. These include AIX, Solaris, Tru64 and Linux. However, with the
recent awareness of HIPAA and needing a central authentication
mechanism, I'm wanting to use either LDAP, NIS or NIS+ with the ability
to automount a user's home directory. With that said, what are you guys
using out there in the field? I'm having a hard time deciding as:

LDAP: not supported by all OSes in some form or fashion
NIS: Supported by all but older technology and not the most secure
NIS+: Again not supported by all OSes and a little tougher to maintain

With that said, I have found the YPLAPD module from padl.com which
looks really nice but does not support Tru64. I have also checked out
Purdue's ACMAINT which looks pretty slick. Any suggestions out there?
I'm anxious to hear what you have to say.

Thanks
Robert

P.S. I posed this exact question to a Sun engineer and he stated they
still use a lot of NIS with a push to go to LDAP.

Robert Banniza
Senior UNIX Administrator
Ascension Health
Phone: 812-228-2157

NOTE: This e-mail message may contain information that may be privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure.  It is intended for use only by
the person to whom it is addressed. If you have received this message in
error, please do not forward or use this information in any way, delete it
immediately, and contact the sender as soon as possible by the reply option
or by telephone at the telephone number listed (if available).  Thank you.