[SunHELP] using network resources

kurt at k-huhn.com kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 10 08:13:32 CST 2002

> 1. I have a CD writer on a Win-NT
> 2. I wish to archive files Solaris 8.0 to this CD writer using "tar"
> command
>
> My doubt is "how to give reference of this device"

I'm going to put on my Darth Kurt mask for a moment and suggest the
unthinkable...

I have found that the MS Services for Unix (Licensed by MS from MKS) provide
you with a multitude of Good Food for NT/2000.  You get a whole bunch of
unix-like commands - and if you install the Cygwin stuff, you get even more.

That said - I've always had good luck mounting an export on a Unix server,
using the MS Services for Unix, or Cygwin, or a combo of both.  If you mount
the data on the Unix server to a virtual drive on the NT computer, you can
then use your CD burning software on the NT box to burn the data to CD.

I don't know of an easy way to perform the same operation from the Solaris
server, without touching the NT box.

Kurt