[SunHELP] SSA Firmware Upgrade

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR SDaubigne@bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 8 04:55:34 CST 2002

The latest kernel patch (105181-29) for Solaris 2.6 contains an update for
SSA firmware :

/usr/lib/firmware/ssa/ssafirmware

Special installation instructions in the README file  of the patch also
contains the procedure
to update the firmware :

-----------------------------

After installing the patch, here is how one goes about
upgrading the firmware:

1.  Enter the following command to see what the firmware level is
    for each SPARCstorage Array on your system:

	# /usr/sbin/ssaadm display controller

        where controller is either the logical controller name
        (given as cX) or the physical path of the controller
        (given as
        /devices/../../SUNW,soc at 3,0/SUNW,plnaxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx:ctlr).

        For more information, see the ssaadm.1m man page.

2.  Look at the output for a line similar to the following to find
    the firmware level:

	Firmware Rev: 3.xx

3.  Determine if you need to upgrade the firmware.

        If the firmware level produced from the ssaadm command (Step 2)
        is lower than 3.12 then you must upgrade your firmware. Go to Step
4.

	If the firmware level produced from the ssaadm command (Step 2)
        is 3.12 or higher then you do not have to read any
        further in these instructions, since your firmware is
        already at the proper level.

4.  If the firmware level produced from the ssaadm command is lower
    than 2.4 you MUST complete the following steps for those SPARCstorage
    Arrays that contain firmware revision lower than 2.4. If the
    firmware is 2.4 or higher you don't need to do step 4 so go to step 5.

	a) Enable the SSA fastwrite capability:
		#  /usr/sbin/ssaadm fast_write -se <controller>

	b) Disable the SSA fastwrite capability:
		#  /usr/sbin/ssaadm fast_write -sd <controller>

        where controller is either the logical controller name
        (given as cX) or the physical path of the controller
        (given as
        /devices/../../SUNW,soc at 3,0/SUNW,plnaxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx:ctlr).

	CAUTION: This operation may take a few minutes to complete.  Do NOT
        interrupt the operation before it is finished or the system
        may not be able to communicate with the SPARCstorage Array.

5. Download the SPARCstorage Array firmware to your SPARCstorage Array.
   If the host is booted off a SSA, the host MUST be rebooted for this
   operation. If the host is being rebooted only the steps 'e' and 'f' below
   need to be executed.

   The following steps must be completed on each SSA to download the
firmware
   safely:

	a) Stop all I/O activity on the SPARCstorage Array.

	b) Perform a sync_data to the SSA:
		#  /usr/sbin/ssaadm sync_cache  <controller>

	c) Unmount any filesystems residing on the SSA disks.

	d) Stop all Veritas Volume manager (VxVA) volumes and/or Solistice
Disk Suite
   	   (SDS) metadevices (if any) running on the SSA. Also insure that
ownership
   	   of any SDS diskset metadevices have been released since an
implicit I/O
   	   stream exists while ownership of a diskset is maintained. Please
refer
   	   to the metaset(1M) manpage for details on taking/releasing
ownership
           of disksets.

	e) Execute the ssaadm download command to download the new firmware:
        	#  /usr/sbin/ssaadm download -f
/usr/lib/firmware/ssa/ssafirmware <controller>

       	    where controller is either the logical controller name
            (given as cX) or the physical path of the controller
            (given as
            /devices/../../SUNW,soc at 3,0/SUNW,plnaxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx:ctlr).

	    CAUTION: This operation may take a few minutes to complete.  Do
NOT
            interrupt the operation before it is finished or the system
            may not be able to communicate with the SPARCstorage Array.

	f) The SSA(s) will now needs to be reset for the changes to take
effect.
           If the host is booted off an SSA then the host MUST be shutdown
at
	   this point.

           Reset your SSA(s) by pushing the SYS OK button in the back of the
unit(s).
           This causes the SPARCstorage Array to reboot using the new
revision
           of firmware.

           If your host boots off an SSA it can now be booted up again.

	g) Restart the Veritas Volume manager (VxVA) and/or SDS metadevices
and
           reclaim ownership of any SDS diskset metadevices that were
relinquished.

 	h) Remount the filesystems that reside on the SSA disks.

6. The firmware download is now complete. I/O activity on the SPARCstorage
   Array can be restarted.

7. Reboot the system after patch installation.

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE
sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>  - (+33)
(0)5.57.26.56.36