[SunHELP] Re: Sparc null modems?

Kris Kirby sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 7 03:10:02 CST 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Um, hit google.  Find many references to
> celeste stokely's site.  Read it.  Trick to disable
> that break include a pullup resistor on, hhmmm, dtr?
> Read Ms stokely's better info.

Looking now but I don't think that is exactly relavent because...

> > If I build a null-modem for an IPX/IPC, will one resetting sparc send
> > another break? Normally, I'd ask before implementing, but the machines
> > aren't exactly in front of me.

I still want to be able to issue BREAK from a Sparc. I've got four
machines; I'm planning on building enough null-modems to connect #1's port
A to #2's port B and so on around until I have a ring. The issue is
whether or not a resetting IPX or IPC generates a spurious break on the
serial ports during the reset, or immediately after recieving a BREAK --
if so, this would make the entire stack goto an "ok" prompt and wait for a
"c\r" -- not fun.

-----