[SunHELP] Re: Copying data from one server to another

Will Yardley william+sun at hq.newdream.net
Wed Feb 20 18:56:34 CST 2002

Dale Ghent wrote:

> | I have a large filesystem (~20 - 25 gig) that I need to copy to another
> | server. What is the best way to get the data from one server to another?
>
> If you have ssh (or rsh - ick!) running on the two systems in question,
> you can do a tar racross the network, like so:

you might also look at rsync (tunneled over ssh, of course)...

this is cool too since you can run it a second time after you're done
and it will update anything that's changed since you last copied stuff
over (and only the stuff that's changed).

rsync also deals properly (in my experience) with copying device nodes,
fifos and the like.

--
William Yardley
GnuPG public key: http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc