[SunHELP] Problems getting CDE and Exceed working

Frank Apap fsa3 at optonline.net
Fri Aug 2 21:03:11 CDT 2002

Hi, im new to sun machines and am trying to get my sun box setup in a
way so that I can use the CDE from my windows machine via exceed.  I
don't have a monitor to connect to the machine so I either telnet in or
use a null modem cable to connect to the console.  When I try to connect
using exceed (with the xdm broadcast) it finds the sun machine but after
I select it nothing happens.  I found this in the /etc/dt/Xerrors log
file for each time I run exceed:

Fri Aug  2 21:57:13 2002
error (pid 333): Server open attempt #0 failed for :0, giving up

Also, I am unclear on if my hardware could have anything to do with
this.  Would having the null modem plugged in cause a problem?  Should
the keyboard be in or out?  I;ve tried all combinations but knowing that
for sure would eliminate 4 attempts every time I try something. any and
all help is welcome

Thanks in advance.

Frank