[SunHELP] yp - how to change password?

Paul D. Mitcheson pmitcheson at iee.org
Mon Apr 29 16:03:01 CDT 2002

Hi guys,

I run a yp server on a small network of solaris and Linux boxes and
thought all was well until I tried to change my password.

When I try to change it, passwed returns correctly, asking me for my
current NIS passwd and then asks for 2 copies of my new passwd.
However, it then fails...

Here's a session:

[pdm at ultra pdm]$ passwd
Enter login(NIS) password:
New password:
Re-enter new password:
passwd (NIS): Couldn't change passwd/attributes for pdm

The passwords *do* match.  Also note I am running rpc.yppasswd on the
ypserver.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
      .---.
     /     \
     \. at -@./     Paul Mitcheson
     /`\_/`\     Control and Power Research Group
    //  _  \\    Imperial College London
   | \     )|_   mailto:paul at mitcheson.org
  /`\_`>  <_/ \  http://www.mitcheson.org/paul