[SunHELP] hardware RAID on sparc solaris

Dave Garten dgarten at nova.org
Thu Apr 25 22:46:50 CDT 2002

Phil Brutsche <phil at giedi.obix.com> said:

> Elwood Blues wrote:
> > Having a hard time finding a PCI RAID controller that is supported on...
>
> All hardware RAID implementations I've seen are external canisters that
> connect to the system via raid or Fiber

Concur.  All the SPARCs thru the SPARCserver 1000E and the SPARCcenter 2000E
used JBOD boxen on either SCSI (differrential) or Fiber Channel to multiple
SCSI controllers.  The RAID functions are handled by the CPU/CPUs via Solaris
Disksuite (which is a watered down version of Veritas Volume Manager).  The
newer stuff....well, when it gets cheap I'll get the skinny for you, but I
think it is probably the same old story.  The software is still there.  My
guess is the JBODs are, too.

Any Sysadmins to chime in?

V/R

DG