[SunHELP] clarification - what does the 'f' option do in the tar and jar commands?

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Apr 18 14:41:17 CDT 2002

I've not use jar before, so I'll answer for tar

the f option is used to send the "tarball" to a file

for instance...

cd /
tar -cf /backupfile.tar ./home

The above will backup the home directory to a file in root directory called
backupfile.tar

cd /
tar -cf /dev/rmt/0 ./home

The above will backup the home directory to your tape drive

I hope this helps...