[SunHELP] SCSI cable

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 18 03:18:55 CDT 2002

"Muhammad Harisun (EID)" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I 've been told to look for SCSI cable 68 pin for tape drive attached on SUN
> E280R
> ordering not from SUN reseller. Are there any possibility that cable used
> not from SUN product.
>
> Thanks
Yes, get a 68-68 pin SCSI cable from just about anywhere, however, I have
noticed a problem using non-Sun ones, which may have just been my bad luck, but
you should be aware of.

I have quite a few of very short SCSI cables I use to link my external disks and
tapes in Sun 611 boxes (probably what your tape drive will be in).
Unfortunately, the connectors on the ends of my short SCSI cables are just a bit
too big to fit two side by side on the external enclosure. Hence while I can
plug one in, I can't get the two as required. I took a file to the plastic on
the end of the SCSI cable and took enough off that allows them to fit. Hardly
ideal. So there is possibly something to be said for buying Sun ones - you can
be certain of not having that problem.
--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: drkirkby at ntlworld.com