[SunHELP] Ultra1 dead PSU?

Ben Smith (QM Systems) ben.smith at qm-systems.com
Tue Apr 2 08:43:39 CST 2002

Help...
I have just got a second hand Ultra1 and it worked fine for the first
2 days, I installed Solaris7 and staroffice on it with no problems,
then I shut it down and left it till the following evening, now it
will not power up, I can hear the relay clicking when I press the
power key on the keyboard, but there is no activity, no light or fans,
nothing, the same happens if I try the switch at the rear.
I have opened the PSU and cleaned out all the dust (lots!!!) but
nothing is visibly wrong, although I am an electronics engineer,
switch mode Psu's are not my field, also this one looks excessively
complex (compared to a PC PSU).
Has anyone got any experience with these? and can you give me some
pointers as to what may have failed?
failing that, is there anywhere in the UK that would repair this? or
does anyone sell second user parts at a reasonable price?
Many thanks.

Ben Smith

QM Systems Limited
Manor Park Industrial Estate, Wyndham Street
Aldershot, Hants. GU12 4NZ..
tel: +44 (0)1252 336612
fax: +44 (0)1252 343018
e-mail: mailto:ben.smith at qm-systems.com