[SunHELP] SLOW ssh connections..

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Apr 1 20:05:09 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 17:14, Jeff Feller wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Maybe one of you have had this problem and knew how to fix it.. but
> sometimes when I ssh to my Sun Ultra 2, it takes 5 - 15 seconds (on rare
> ocassions MORE) to bring up the password thing.  It's not a slow network
> connection.. the host I'm ssh'ing from is connected via 100 Mbps.  Web
> pages load up fast and FTP transfers are fast, but the inital ssh login to
> the machine is incredible slow.  What can I check to speed things up?

There are a few things to check...  Make sure that you're using version
2 of the ssh protocol (ssh -v host should report versions).  Second,
make sure that you have, and are using, RSA keys with ssh2, they're
tremendously faster than DSA.  You might also want to make sure that
your /dev/random type device has enough entropy, but that's a bit
tougher.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.