[SunHELP] Tcp_wrappers: emailing info from refused attempt

Mack Lundy sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 30 09:37:00 CDT 2001

I've checked the FAQs I can find and posted the questiion a couple of
other places with no succes so far.

OS:  SOL7 & SOL8
Tcp wrapper versions: 7.6 and 7.6-ipv6

I've been reading about the booby traps you can set with tcp_wrappers
and am interested in what you can do in the hosts.deny file.  I found a
couple of examples of ways to email information about attempts to telnet
in that are refused.

e.g.
in.telnetd: ALL: (/usr/local/sbin/save_finger -l @%h | /usr/ucb/mail -s
%d-%h root) &

Also

SPAWN (/usr/local/sbin/safe_finger -l @%h | /usr/ucb/mail -s %d-%h root)
&

Neither of these sends email to root.  The path is where safe_finger is
located on my systems.  Both version of tcp_wrappers were compiled with
SYTLE=-DPROCESS_OPTIONS

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Mack