[SunHELP] Tests for NIC cards or any other hardware issues

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 25 13:11:01 CDT 2001

Hello SUN gods,

     Are there any hardware diagnostic type tests I can run to determine
whether or not a NIC is good or bad ?  I have a SUN E420R running Solaris
2.6 with the latest Recommended Cluster patch.  It has the onboard hme0 and
a QFE card.  I have 15 of these all with an identical config.  All of them
work except one.  On this one system, for whatever reason, I can NOT get it
to pass packets from one interface to the next.  All the routes are there
and if I'm on the system I can ping out any interface.  I can just never
ping through it.  Like I said I have set up 14 other ones with no problem.
Got them all working on the first try.  I have been fighting with this
issue on this one system for over a month now and I can't find anything
wrong.  I've rebuilt it at least 4 times.  All interfaces are set to 100fdx
using /etc/system and the switches they are plugged into are set to 100fdx
also.  I would like to say there is a hardware failure somewhere in the
system, but I don't know any tests I can run that will check for that.

Any ideas,

Duke Glover
813-978-5682