[SunHELP] ping a port

David Baldwin sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 09:00:08 CDT 2001

What I need to be able to do is check if a service's port is responding
such as 80 or 443.  And, I need to be able to do it through a firewall.
I have seen that ping is not the tool for that and port scanners might
do the trick.  My next question is this, if I run a port scan is it
going to let me know if the firewall is open or can it tell me if a port
on the server on the other side is open and responding as well?  Also,
does Solaris come with any such tool?  I have heard of tools like nmap
and netcat and they are available from sunfreeware.

Thanks, once again, for any suggestions.
Dave Baldwin