[SunHELP] Re: FW: Cheap PCI NIC for U60

Robert Novak sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 14 09:40:08 CDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> I have an Ultra 60 here in need of a second network interface. I'd
> like to add a 10/100 NIC. We're rather price-sensitive right now, so I
> was wondering what, if any, generic (i.e. PC) PCI cards might be
> supported by Solaris 8 on Sparc? Failing that, I'd be interested in
> knowing what Sun branded NICs are a good buy.

Hi Adam,

Znyx (www.znyx.com) has a line of PCI ethernet cards that are well under
the Sun prices. Only downside is they require a driver and come up as znb0
instead of hme1 (or whatever # might be in order).

Look for ZX345Q on their store site, $99 each plus shipping and such.
Driver is included and/or downloadable.

I've used dozens of their quad cards ($700 from znyx or $1200-1800 from
Sun? Hard decision to make :) ). Another amusing datum is that some of the
Netapp quad cards are Znyx as well. They're DEC Tulip chipset (or were
last September when I last bought one) so they're also supported under
most OSes (the website says 18 OSes).

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows