[SunHELP] SUNPC Patch

David Baldwin sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 13 10:08:50 CDT 2001

Hi,
I am having trouble installing patches from sunsolve.sun.com.

I am trying to install patches because, after installing win2k on
sunpci, everytime I open a command prompt or IE the whole SUNPCI window
crashes (just disappears).  I added the lines:
[Display]
OldText

And that got it to actually boot up after installing.

I also ran the update.bat batch from $SUNPC/drivers/win2k/patch which
seemed to help temporarily.  But, the whole window still crashes when I
try to run apps like Outlook, Internet Explorer, and cmd.

So, I try to install patch 111987-01 which is apparently the same as
sunpci 2.2.2 but I get the following message;

[root at nocdesk06 111987-01]# patchadd -d 111987-01/

Checking installed patches...
One or more patch packages included in
111987-01 are not installed on this system.

Patchadd is terminating.

The patch 111987-01 is in a directory of the same name. the contents of
the actual patch dir are;

Install.info  SUNWspci2     backoutpatch  installpatch

There is a package installed by the name of SUNWspci2.
Also, if I uninstall the original SUNWspci2 and try to install the pkg
in the patch dir it fails with;

The following packages are available:
  1  SUNWspci2     SunPCi2
                   (sparc) 2.2.2

Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]: 1

Processing package instance <SUNWspci2> from
</import/ncprob02/SunPC/111987-01/111987-01>

SunPCi2
(sparc) 2.2.2
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
## Executing checkinstall script.
PaTcH_MsG 8 Version 2.2.2 of SUNWspci2 is not installed on this system.
checkinstall script suspends

Installation of <SUNWspci2.2> was suspended (administration).
No changes were made to the system.

Also, I get the same patchadd failure when trying to add the patches
that come on the SUNPCI cd as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave Baldwin