[SunHELP] Re: Why does my ISDN link keep re-dialing?

Sandwich Maker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 07:53:34 CDT 2001

"From: Richard Skelton <Richard.Skelton at brake.demon.co.uk>
"
"I have snooped the ifppp0 interface and I think it's a DNS request which is
"requesting the link to establish.
"How can I find the program which is doing the DNS request ?

it is probably nscd.  that tries by default to keep the last 20
addresses up to date in a hot cache.

excerpt, my /etc/nscd.conf:
#ident	"@(#)nscd.conf	1.3	96/10/09 SMI"
[]
	enable-cache		hosts		no
[]
	keep-hot-count		hosts		20

i think that if enable-cache is no, keep-hot-count is ignored.  my
machine doesn't dial out constantly.