[SunHELP] Stack Size in Solaris 2.6

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 12:54:33 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:19:20PM -0700, Balaji srinivasan wrote:
> Hi Admins,
>            In a Ultra 3500 box with Solaris 2.6 when running a application
> we get Out of stack space error. The stack size paramater in    /etc/system
> is set like this:
>
> set lwp_default_stksize=0x4000
> set rpcmod:svc_run_stksize=0x4000
>
> If I have understood it right it's at 64 MB???. Also ulimit, system wide and
> for the user who has run into the problem, the stack size is at 8K.  I
> increased it system wide and for user also to 12k using the
> command ulimit -s. Still the same error message persists.
>
> Will this be solved by increasing the value set in /etc/system?. If so
> by how much can I bump the value. The application wise there seems to
> be no problems as it runs fine in a dev environment. In  test environment I
> get this problem.

Increasing the stack size may worsen the problem.  If the problem
is that the program is threaded and it's creating more threads
than your process can support, increasing the stack size would
probably make the problem worse.  If, on the other hand, the problem
is due to runaway recursion, you can't fix that with *any* kernel
parameter; only those responsible for maintaining the source
code can fix it.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen