[SunHELP] Strange network problems

Maarten Deen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 03:09:41 CDT 2001

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me with some strange network problems I've
got at home.
The network consists of two 10baseT hubs, connected by thin
ethernet of approx. 25 meters.
One PC and two suns live on one of the hubs, one PC is connected
to the thin ethernet loop and another sun is connected to the other
hub. I can ping all machines from all machines, but when I try to
telnet from the PC on the one hub to the sun on the other hub, I have
problems. Most of the times I am able to log in and get to the prompt
and type a command, but when the command has to put out a lot of
text (more than one line) I get no response.
All the while, I can ping with no problem but when I use packets
larger 55 bytes I start to get packet loss, packets of 60 bytes and
more don't come through at all.

I have tried exchanging the hubs, but that didn't seem to help.

What might be the problem here?

--
Maarten Deen                                           +31 (0)77 3076879
mdeen at xs4all.nl                              http://www.xs4all.nl/~mdeen