[SunHELP] How to tell the Version of Solaris installed ? uname not good enough !

James sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue May 29 01:08:29 CDT 2001

Thus spake Foong, Tzeweng (Tzeweng.Foong at team.telstra.com):

> I would like to know how to find out the version of solaris installed
> on any particular sparc box. I have looks around a bit but the best
> I have found is the "uname -a" but thats not enough.
>
> uname -a tells me the main version ie 5.8 for solaris 8 but I am
> interested to find out the actual release of the software for example.
> Solaris 8 has got the March 2000, the October 2000, January 2001
> and April 2001 releases. How do I know which is really installed ?

cat /etc/release

You'll be able to tell which Solaris build you have, the date of release, as
well as the Maintenance Update, if any, that has been applied.

> A related question is the Patches that are installed. How do I find
> out the list of patches installed on a machine?

showrev -p

Another handy tool for tracking patches called patchcheck.  It's on bigadmin.

--
 James <oneiros at darkspire.net>      1024D/62C2F77D
 url: http://oneiros.darkspire.net/ EBB8 AF14 8C43 2F12 7623