[SunHELP] GNOME 1.4 - unsupported evaluation

Michael S. Schiller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 01:37:38 CDT 2001

I sure hope this doesn't mean that CDE is going away! Bad enough OW is going bye
bye! Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but CDE just seems SO much more professional
looking than gnome (ot kde for that matter). I'm sure you can make either look
more professional, but CDE does that right out of the box.

-Mike

Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG wrote:
>
> > Try 'ldd gaim' - I suspect it will show that it's getting some libraries
> > from the GNOME distribution.  There's a good chance that they aren't
> > binary compatible with the ones you linked against.  A rebuild/relink
> > should fix it.
>
>         I should mention that it launches fine when I do it from an xterm...
> but xalf might be doing some funny shit with my library path... thats another
> one of those things I have to get use to, no /etc/ld.so.(conf|cache). I'll fix
> it when, if ever, I start using menus instead of xterms to launch apps :) (yes,
> I have a key binding for xterm)
>
> > I was also a little disappointed that it didn't automatically encapsulate
> > the old CDE menu into a GNOME sub-menu the way it does on other platforms
> > with KDE installed.
>
>         Interesting idea... I don't think it might have occurred to anyone :)
> CDE isn't a threat GNOME has to play nice with =P
>
>         Tugrul Galatali

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *