core files (was Re: [SunHELP] GNOME 1.4 - unsupported evaluation)

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat May 26 00:40:56 CDT 2001

> (I was also getting a core file from gnome_segv; but that was useless...
> I really wish that Sun would take a clue from FreeBSD, et. al. and make their
> core files come out as 'core.<progname>' instead of just 'core'.)

I really wish *BSD proponents would take a clue from the man pages.
(I apologize in advance, you were just begging for it)

See coreadm(1M).

SunOS gives you, the user or sysadmin, control over core file names.
Perhaps you'd want one where two core dumps from <progname> don't overwrite
each other? "core.%f.%p".  Or where two core dumps from <progname> won't
_ever_ overwrite each other, even in directories shared by more than one
machine?  "core.%f.%n.%p.%t".

-greg