[SunHELP] Help please

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 10:03:23 CDT 2001

On Fri 2001-05-25 (08:17), Lund, Dennis wrote:
> At my last job this error was caused because /var was not mounted at th=
> boot time when the=20
> system wants to write to /var/adm/utmp.  Without /var mounted at boot t=
ime,
> the /var/adm path=20
> does not exist.  What we did to avoid this message was to unmount /var =
and
> create the
> path /var/adm.  This creates the path from /.
> =20
> What it does is make the path /var/adm available at boot time without h=
aving
> /var mounted.

Double Ouch!

0. Please learn to quote.=20

1. There is an entry "mount at boot" in /etc/vfstab which should make
sure that /var _is_ available for init. If there is a problem with=20
the partition though, this might not help, of course.

BTW, the notation "mount at boot =3D no" (which is the correct setting fo=
crucial filesystems) is a bit confusing: "no" means that the fs already
has to be mounted.=20

2. There's a chance that the whole /var fs got corrupted during the power
outage :(

Steffen
--=20
 Steffen Grunewald | GFZ | PB 2.2 | Telegrafenberg E3 | D-14473 Potsdam
 =BB email: steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de | fax/fon: +49-331-288-1266/-1245 =AB
  I have nothing to declare but my genius              --- Oscar Wilde