[SunHELP] SPARC 5 memory

Paul Khoury sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 16 11:01:28 CDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001 16:35:07 +0200, Gereon Stein wrote:
>Yes, sure. The SS5 has got SCA drive bays, requiring you to install 80pin SCA disk drives
>internally (using rare and expensive mounting frames or fiddling with any kind of suitably
>DIY fittings).
>You may want to opt for not using internal disks but attaching your old drive externally,
>or - what I've seen other people do - hook the narrow-SCSI drive to the CDROM connector if no
>CDROM is installed. Requires slightly more "fiddling" to get it to stay in place, though.

Actually, the only internal drive I use now is one of those crappy old 212MB Maxtor
drives (used strictly for the swap file), otherwise, I have 4 5.25" FH drives all external (I
would hope with about 25 lbs of hard drives).

>For a console, you may want one out of cg3, cg6 or S24 (the latter fits in a special slot
>that only the SS5 has); or go for serial tty or course... whatever SBUS Framebuffer your
>SS2 has should work, though.

The SS2 had a CG6.  I might keep that in there, as if I have more RAM, I might actually
load the GUI, not sure yet.  I don't have it loaded now for security reasons,
it just depends on what administration I do on it.

>256Meg is the limit. The SS5 takes 8 or 32Meg DIMMs, 32Meg parts have to come first if both
>sizes are used. $25 is amazingly cheap in SS5 terms. I'd buy them instantly for that price,
>but few if any sellers on ebay.com are willing to ship internationally :-(
>
>Well, for an X-station, my SS5 just does with 64Megs anyway... (yes it runs Solaris 8)

What are the advantages of Sol 8 over 7?

On both my DNS servers, I'm running Solaris 7 for x86 and SPARC (two different boxes),
but both servers still have 2.6 Server 5/98 with all the latest patches applied periodically,
and I'm pretty happy with 2.6 (no plans to change yet).

Is that pretty reasonable?

Paul