[SunHELP] Diff between patches and MUs?

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 11 11:11:35 CDT 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Ben Ricker wrote:

| What exactly is the difference between the "Recommended" patches and
| Maintenance updates? The MUs are just a bunch of patches! Just curious
| is I need to do both or just the Recommended. MU4 is 148 megabytes ZIPPED!

The Recommended Patch Cluster conatins patches that are important for all
systems to apply. These patches mainly address security and
stability/performance fixes.

The MUs contain all the patches in the Recommended Patch cluster, as well
as many other patches that fix small errors in not-as-important areas of
Solaris, and also patches that introduce new functionality into Solaris.

Applying a MU will bring your server up spec with the current release of
Solaris. In other words, applying the MU3 for Solaris 8 will bring your
system up to Solaris 8 1/01 standards. Applying MU4 will bring it up to
Solaris 8 4/01 standards, and so on.

/dale