[SunHELP] Re:(Carl Marino)repeated rpc.rexd processes

Xiaomei Zhou sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 9 09:46:36 CDT 2001

Carl,

Was there something wrong with your mail server? My message was returned to me.

Mei

Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:35:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: Xiaomei Zhou <mei at prc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: repeated rpc.rexd processes
To: mei at prc.utexas.edu, cmarino at skynet.be
Content-MD5: FWRynC4V2/PtwLk8yUIO3w==

Carl,

I have gotten some replies from securityfocus site and everyone says that I have been
compromised (which is obvious) but no one could tell me the source of the attack.
Here is what I have done:

1. Rebooted the affected systems immediately. (Three of ours were compromised, two
2.6 machines and one 2.7 machine)

2. We changed the permission on /tmp_rex to
dr-x------   2 root     root         512 Apr 22 21:16 tmp_rex

3. We applied the last patch clusters from sunsolve site.

So far we haven't experiencing any more rexd attack. We think the attacker is using
our server as a stepping stone of some sort. The attacker opened hunderds of our
ports using rpc.rexd processes but didn't seem to do any other harm.

Good Luck!
Mei

> Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:25:34 +0200
> From: Carl Marino <cmarino at skynet.be>
> To: Xiaomei Zhou <mei at prc.utexas.edu>
> Subject: Re: repeated rpc.rexd processes
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:36:45AM -0500, Xiaomei Zhou wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone have any clue as to why I'm getting tons (about 80) of rpc.rexd
process
> > in my process table? This rexd process has been commented out in my inetd.conf so
I'm
> > very confused why it is even running. I used "ps -ef | grep rpc.rexd" and I got
about
> > 80 rpc.rexd processes like this:
> >
> >     root 28894     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 28936     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 28983     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29072     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29093     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29350     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29162     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29300     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29197     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >     root 29237     1  0   Apr 23 ?        0:00 rpc.rexd
> >
> > I have not edited inetd.conf recently. The process report last week didn't show
any
> > rpc.rexd process. I have only discovered this yesterday. The time stamps on these
> > rpc.rexd all have yesterday and today's time stamps. I can kill these processes
but
> > I'm a little concerned with the numbers of repeated rexd processes. Have I been
> > hacked? Is this a sign of rpc.rexd buffer overflow? I have checked all my
essential
> > binary files and there has not been any time change. The only thing I found was a
new
> > and empty directory called /tmp_rex.
> >
> > I have two systems showing this repeated rpc.rexd processes, one is running
Solaris 6