[SunHELP] filesystem question

Ivan Kovalev sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu May 3 11:26:43 CDT 2001

You probably are doing

> > > > > If I "cd /opt/lost+found"
> > > > > I see a directory "#028482"
> > > > > If I "cd #028482", I end up at "/"

as you put it originaly.

My guess is you are doing it as root. You are not quoting #028482 and as
a result your "cd #028482" works as simple "cd" and puts you in root's
home. You can check it: try to change permissions for lost+found opening
it for non-root user and do the same as someone else. You will end up in
this user's home directory. If you did "cd /opt/lost+found/#028482",
that should work as well as "cd '#028482'" from /opt/lost+found.

As it was already pointed out, lost+found is created during newfs. File
and directory names inside this directory correspond to inode numbers of
the files that lost their links and are put there by fsck. (do ls -li in
your lost+found) You might be able to restore these files after you
investigate thir contens. If you are not able to do so or do not want
to, it is safe to delete all the files inside lost+found (tey are not in
use anyway).

To clarify on the links remarks below, if you delete symlink, you delete
an alias to a file name (file itself might or might not exist). When you
delete a hard link, you are deleting a reference to specific inode which
points to the file. If this reference was the last one (no more hard
links), the file will be deleted.

Ivan