[SunHELP] strange problem

Angela Pardo sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 30 14:36:49 CST 2001

Hi everyone...

one of my development servers (Solaris 7) have started experiencing a very
strange problem and I was hoping someone here might have had seen it
before...

pretty much all files with "01" on them (e.g. 01-temp.html or joe01.gif) are
not visible.  that is you login to the machine (local shell, telnet, ssh,
ftp)  and you go to the location where the file is supposed to be but the
file is just not visible to the user (not even root).
But!

somehow our webserver (orion [some weird java based web server] ) and CDE
file manager can see the files and from some shells, although invisible you
can modify, open and even rename the file to something else, so it becomes
visible again.
at first I thought this could be some sort of corruption with the file
system so we created and moved some files to a different hard disk in the
same machine, but we had the same results.

I have never seen anything like this before, have any of you?

Angela