[SunHELP] Do I need to backup /proc?

Ann Waters sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 08:54:47 CST 2001

Hi Listers,

I have 60+ sun servers that I have to back up across a WAN.  I want to do each box as quickly as possible and
avoid saturating the WAN for extended periods of time.  With that in mind, is it safe to exclude the /proc filesystem
from any backups I do?  Given that /proc is pretty much there for process debugging purposes (perhaps I'm
oversimplifying it), I would throw caution to the wind and say that that is something I'll not need to recover sometime
down the road.

Any thoughts/confirmations/suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance!

Ann Waters
Kaiser Permanente
Silver Spring, MD