[SunHELP] How to Install 2nd NIC and assign IP to it

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 19:09:29 CST 2001

> I mean I have two nic card on different network. So they can have two
> default router

well, not really.  a default router has a different (and i think slightly more
descriptive) name on cisco hardware, called the "gateway of last resort"

when you are using a machine as a router and you have two nics on it, you will
generally know all about one network, but very little to none about the other
(besides the fact that it is where "everything else" will be found)

so you don't want multiple default routes unless you are doing high availability
and neet to be able to fail over to a second link, although there are honestly
better ways of doing that.

if you need more help, feel free to contact me off list and i will explain it
all to you.

cheers,

-brian