[SunHELP] Solaris 8 fails to boot from a Yamaha 8424S

Richard Skelton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 13:24:42 CST 2001

Hi,
This problem is doing my head in.
I have an Ultra 30 which after I upgraded the firmware on the 8424S (rev 1.0j)
drive was happy to boot and install Solaris 8 10/00 ( in fact I have built 3
Ultra 80's with the same drive)
After building the last Ultra 80 I put the drive back into my Ultra 30 and now
it won't boot the disk 1 of 2 from the Solaris 8 distribution.
It starts fine the I get the error:-
ok boot cdrom
Sun etc
/
Bus Error
tmpfs mount failed

It even fails on the Ultra 80 with the same error.

I have over the last few days built the 30 from my jumpstart server but I don't
think this is relevant as I am trying to boot from the local CD not the net.

Any ideas?
--
Cheers
Richard.