[SunHELP] solaris 2.6/sunos 5.6

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 27 08:07:14 CST 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 07:06:15AM -0500, Fabio Andres Miranda wrote:
> hi, I have never worked on sun's, just open source (freebsd/debian)

Both good places to be coming from!

> now i got a new job as a sys admin, it's a sparc with sunos 5.6...

SunOS 5.6 = Solaris 2.6

You need to read the Solaris FAQ!
http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

> OK, i read a document about differences between sunos and solaris

_Generally_, what people call SunOS is SunOS 4.x, while what folk call
Solaris is SunOS 5.x...

> I would like to know if SunOS 5.6 and Solaris 2.6 are the same thing
> with different names or are two differents enviroment.

SunOS is the name of the basic OS, Solaris is the name of the Operating
Environment (i.e. SunOS + CDE + OpenWindows + GNOME)

> i'm confused in a marketing estrategy of sun's :=)....

Who isn't. :)

--
Brian Scanlan, Systems Administrator.
Irish Times New Media - http://www.ireland.com