[SunHELP] Mounting CDs w/o volmgt

Magnus Abrante sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 24 11:32:55 CST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 10:32:40AM -0600, Ben Ricker wrote:
> I am trying to find the right way to mount a cdrom wihtout using volmgt
> (I installed the core Solaris 8 system). I cannot find a cdrom entry in
> /dev and all the instructions on SunDocs are for using volmgt.

Most common is that the CDrom is at SCSI target 6:

mount -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s2 /some/where

Depending on how the CD is layouted. You can always add "-F hsfs"
(High Sierra FileSystem) since the CD hopefully is a hsfs cd.

I think there is a link like /dev/sr0 for cdroms, but no, there are no
/dev/cdrom, if you want one you can always do a "ln -s /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s2
/dev/cdrom"

> Is it me, or does Sun make it extra hard to run their servers without
> CDE or some sort of GUI? I can imagine that I will have trouble
> installing Disksuite also; I only want to use the command line stuff but
> it will probably require CDE or something.

Its just you. We dont even sell most servers with a framebuffer, even if
you can add one to most systems.

The CLI interface to disksuite is very nice (in my humble), i dont think
you'll have any problems with that one.

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */