[SunHELP] Netscape Not Resolving URL's

Lund, Dennis sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 09:34:11 CST 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B3AE.B97E758C

Hi all,

I have been struggling trying to get Netscape to function properly
for months now.  Netscape has been no help at all.

The problem:
Solaris 8 current Recommended patches
Sparc 2 with Cycle 5 board, 128 RAM
Cable Modem (Charter Communications)
Netscape 4.76

Netscape will not resolve URL's.  I can get to internet
sites by IP, but not when I use the URL.  Once I get to
a site by IP, if I select a link with different URL it
can't resolve it.  I can get e-mail from my ISP with
Netscape if sendmail is running.

StarOffice works fine (Resolves URL's, gets e-mail).
Mozilla works fine (resolves URL's and gets e-mail).
Command line works fine (can nslookup any valid URL).

I have tried IE5, but It will not come up.  Get message
that it is not compatible with SunOS 5.8 and

"gma_morecore_shm->shmget: Invalid argument"

Readme file says it works on "2.5.1 and higher".

Why will Netscape not resolve URL's?  What is it looking for?

Dennis L. Lund
dennis.lund at sciatl.com < mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com

Dennis L. Lund
Scientific Atlanta
Alert Team System Administrator
Phone:  (770) 236-1017
dennis.lund at sciatl.com <mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com>

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain,
copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail
and delete it from your computer.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B3AE.B97E758C

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Netscape Not Resolving URL's</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi all, </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have been struggling trying to get Netscape to =
function properly </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for months now.  Netscape has been no help at =
all.  </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The problem: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Solaris 8 current Recommended patches </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sparc 2 with Cycle 5 board, 128 RAM </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cable Modem (Charter Communications) </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Netscape 4.76 </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Netscape will not resolve URL's.  I can get to =
internet </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>sites by IP, but not when I use the URL.  Once =
I get to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>a site by IP, if I select a link with different URL =
it </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>can't resolve it.  I can get e-mail from my ISP =
with </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Netscape if sendmail is running. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>StarOffice works fine (Resolves URL's, gets e-mail). =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mozilla works fine (resolves URL's and gets e-mail). =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Command line works fine (can nslookup any valid =
URL). </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have tried IE5, but It will not come up.  Get =
message </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that it is not compatible with SunOS 5.8 and </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>"gma_morecore_shm->shmget: Invalid =
argument" </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Readme file says it works on "2.5.1 and =
higher". </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Why will Netscape not resolve URL's?  What is it =
looking for? </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Dennis L. Lund </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>dennis.lund at sciatl.com < <A =
HREF=3D"mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com">mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com</A>=
</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Dennis L. Lund</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Scientific Atlanta</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alert Team System Administrator</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Phone:  (770) 236-1017</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>dennis.lund at sciatl.com <<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com">mailto:dennis.lund at sciatl.com</A>=
> </FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P>     - - - - - - -  Appended by =
Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - - =20
<BR>This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is =
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. =
The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person =
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the =
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, =
print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If =
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender =
immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer. </P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B3AE.B97E758C--