[SunHELP] [Q] Need your suggestion to upgrade SUn server?

Maarten Deen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 16:22:40 CST 2001

Les:

> thus more spindles. The DBA standing next to me is saying
> "tell him more spindles, not bigger drives AND MORE RAM)

Hmm, heard that before. One of our warehouse management setups
is currently beating the crap out of 4 fully loaded DEC ES40's (we
tried replacing one with an 8-way ES160. Didn't work [1]). One of the
things running on these machines are two databases, the other are a
lot of processes with heavy logging. Compaq installed smaller disks
some time ago to get more spindles. It did make a difference.

Maarten

[1] An ES160 is basically 4xES40. The downpart is that they have to
synchronize. This takes one processor of each ES40. :-<

--
Maarten Deen                                           +31 (0)77 3076879
mdeen at xs4all.nl                              http://www.xs4all.nl/~mdeen