[SunHELP] su to root does not force password prompt

Les sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 11:58:15 CST 2001

Don't know if this works the same in earlier versions
of Solaris
Assuming you're using SOL 5.6 or later and IIRC
If you have truly lost access to root and can get to the
firmware ok prompt (and have a cdrom drive)
   boot cdrom -s
when you have access to cdrom O/S
   /etc/mount /dev/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
(assuming that that is your boot drive)
  cd /mnt/etc
  vi ./shadow
You may have to give full path if vi not found.
remove the root shadow passwd
 cd
 reboot
and I'm pretty sure that the
system will come up without a root passwd.
If asked for a password, pressing Enter
should suffice.

Les