[SunHELP] NFS questions..

Torbj=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=F8?=rn Kristoffersen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 9 08:41:49 CST 2001

Hi !

I'm wondering what to do - I have four Solaris 8 servers and one FreeBSD
4.2 server. The FreeBSD box is supposed to have a web interface where
people can modify various configuration files on the Solaris boxes.

I've thought of several solutions on how to do this, but security is a top priority. The Solaris boxen are connected directly to the internet, while the FreeBSD box is behind a firewall.

Should I let the Solaris boxes run as NFS Servers, and let the
FreeBSD box mount the shares? How can I do this in a secure way?
I thought about using NIS+, to be able to use Kerberos 4 for
authentication. However, FreeBSD only supports NIS, so NIS+ can't do. (Actually, FreeBSD supports NIS+, but it's in a very alpha state)

The Solaris boxes are probably going to run something like SecureRPC.
If I can use SecureRPC without using NIS+, but using Kerberos4 or 5? instead of uid/IP (AUTH_SYS) for authentication, that would be great.

Any ideas on how to do this? Are there any solutions to this safely?

Thanks in advance,

Torbjorn Kristoffersen
sgt at digiweb.no