[SunHELP] IPSec and firewalls

Jon Still sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 10:46:29 CST 2001

> i don't know a whole lot about IPSec, so, is it possible to have the machine
> at work initiate the tunnel so that it can get out of the firewall and connect
> to my home machine?  on what port would it be connecting to so i can allow
> a connection to that port and redirect it to the correct machine at home.

It's been a while since I touched IPSEC, but ISTR that it uses a totally
different IP type (i.e. not TCP nor UDP) called ESP (Encapsulated Payload).  It
will be this that you need to forward at your firewall to your solaris machine.
As to how you'd go about doing this - I'm afraid I haven't got a clue!

I suppose if the IPSEC doesn't work out so good, you could always try the PPP
over SSH -style kludge.

J.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jon at tertial.org
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/