[SunHELP] slow telnet

Jon Still sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 10:46:28 CST 2001

> I am using telnet to access solaris machines over vpn and the response time
> is not too interactive friendly. I have tried many different telnet clients
> but recieve the same results. What's really strange is I am using an eXceed
> 3270 connection to connect to a mainframe and the response time is lightning
> fast. Looking at the settings, this 3270 connection is also using telnet to
> connect.

You have to remember that telnet itself is a character-by-character protocol.
Typically, 1 TCP packet is sent per character typed.  OTOH, 3270 terminals work
in screen-at-a-time mode.  A full page of information is built up on the client,
and some of the form validation and interactivity is done on the 3270 terminal,
and then the entire page transmitted in 1 fell sweep.  This *could* be a cause
of your problems.

J.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jon at tertial.org
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/