[SunHELP] IPSec and firewalls

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 08:13:43 CST 2001

the current VPN at work does not allow me to get my job done from home. i have
gotten the go ahead from work to setup an IPSec tunnel with the understanding
that they will not modify their firewall at all.  so, is this possible given
the following setup:

Solaris 8 machine at work, has complete access to the internet, does not exist
on the internet, behind a firewall and NAT.

Solaris 8 machine at home, sits behind an IPFILTER firewall/NAT box that i can
configure any way i please (without comprimising security of course)

i don't know a whole lot about IPSec, so, is it possible to have the machine
at work initiate the tunnel so that it can get out of the firewall and connect
to my home machine?  on what port would it be connecting to so i can allow
a connection to that port and redirect it to the correct machine at home.

thanks!!!!

-brian