[SunHELP] IPX scsi cdrom [not] playing ball

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 17:34:09 CST 2001

Steffen Grunewald replied.....

/sbus/esp at 0/800000/sd at 6,0:c
>What worries me is the :c part (boot CDROMs have a strange partitioning,
>with initial boot partitions for the various architectures, and I cannot
>remember whether :c (3rd partition) really fits the IPX (which is a sun4c
>IIRC) - can someone confirm? sunhelp.org should have it in a FAQ :(
Yup - not only is the :c suitable - but prior to the NVRAM change this
worked 100% correctly set just like that - even booted from the RedHat
Linux 6.2 with these settings.....

>One would expect that :)
What I am getting at is that with NO CDROM unit connected I am getting
a different result from when there IS a CDROM connected.....

>Old kernel heritage, I think
Wassat????? - The current RedHat Linux 6.2 kernel may have picked this
information up from the previous SunOS4 kernel - BUT it ran with it
happily - until I reolaced the NVRAM.....

>/dev/scd0 should be the right one (could you check the maj/min pair?)
Help, I am sinking - I think, from the various messages/logs, that the
major number is 11, but I do not know enough to find out the minor
number - in fact this deep magic confuses me greatly.....

>Block size settings?
Could these have changed.....

>Perhaps you're  trying to access CD-Rs? The 8012 has some problems
with them, and it really gets old now, dirty laser and so on
Nope - the main disk I am trying to access is the original RedHat
Linux 6.2 bootable CDROM which I used on this very machine to
install the OS.....

What else is stored in the NVRAM other than hostID/Serial/ethernet.
Somehow I have omitted to tell the poor old IPX something which
it needs to know in its NVRAM - but what.
Please believe me - I have scoured many FAQs etc..... but your
shooting in the dark sounds better than my fumbling in the
gloom of ignorance. Keep going, I am listening.
N!k