[SunHELP] Cron deamon

Jawwad Hafeez sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 15:36:58 CST 2001

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C0A254.B0923BA0

Hi every body this is myfirst mail to this mailing list.
I am using cron to monitor my /etc/shadow file. A C software checks the =
/etc/shadow every few hours and if the specific check fails it resotres =
the file from latest back and sends mail to the system administrator.
The problem with it is that if somhow the /etc/shadow file gets deleted =
the cron job stops altogether. I can write my own deamon but the =
question is that cron is a deamon and it should be running with root =
previlleages and it shoud be able to restore the shadow file. Why does =
every thing stop when shadow file becomes zero. I am running solaris 2.6 =
on Sun E450
jawwad

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C0A254.B0923BA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi every body this is myfirst mail to =
this mailing=20
list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am using cron to monitor my =
/etc/shadow file. A C=20
software checks the /etc/shadow every few hours and if the specific =
check fails=20
it resotres the file from latest back and sends mail to the system=20
administrator.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The problem with it is that if somhow =
the=20
/etc/shadow file gets deleted the cron job stops altogether. I =
can write my=20
own deamon but the question is that cron is a deamon and it should be =
running=20
with root previlleages and it shoud be able to restore the shadow file. =
Why does=20
every thing stop when shadow file becomes zero. I am running solaris 2.6 =
on Sun=20
E450</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>jawwad</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C0A254.B0923BA0--